Monday, May 13, 2013

Back to class with Jane

Jane Davies  class continues to take up so much of my time...but I love it.  We've progressed to finding ways to connect disparate elements (collage, paint, line) on a page, and then making compositions using transparent overlays.  


The transparent overlays were tissue paper that I'd made marks on with paint, or stamp, or line.

This first image was my last.  It's top of the list because, to me, it was a better composition than the following.




These two I find too messy and not well integrated.  They have some good points...palette, energy, mark making...but overall not as well resolved as the first one.
 
I will probably go back to these and make them work better, but already am on to the next lesson so they'll just have to wait.
 
Don't go too far...I'll be back soon.
 


10 comments:

  1. I am enjoying seeing what you do in this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the top one too. I am also enjoying seeing what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo - this is a journey - like you always say it is 'brush miles' and this has stuck in my head as I brush away - not counting the miles I have to say, but appreciating the knowledge of how things will react with each other and what will happen if you scratch with this tool or that!! Or make a sweep of colour or stroke like so .......

    You are being really inventive and creative in doing this - and inspiring to all of us - keep it coming - love the first one and also love the elements in the others - you will pull it all together in the end knowing you!! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are clearly enjoying this class and stretching, stretching. Lovely work. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still working on mine - very challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with your assessment of the pieces - while I like the second and third, I love the first and I agree that the piece is more cohesive. Again, so glad you're sharing your efforts here so I can live vicariously! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's what I think: I think that the energy and vitality shows in these, and that's one of my favorite qualities in a work. I just got my tissue papers out for a project, and love how they perform!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must admit I am extra drawn to the first piece...the addition of the turquoise along with your other additions make it really super!

    Each of your creations is very nice Jo.

    I always enjoy using tissue paper as it melts into the surface so beautifully...

    Seems you are getting quite a lot of this class ... good on you :)
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't go too far? No way ... I'm right here waiting for the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really loving all the great energy your projects are revealing Jo!! Like Patty, I too was immediately drawn to your first piece although I do really like the movement and colors of all three. I'll be going to an abstract exhibit with a friend tomorrow and will be thinking of you at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete