Saturday, January 24, 2015

When is a drawing not a drawing?

Hard to say these days. Most non-artists think a drawing is a linear depiction of something real. In my book, modern drawing is an arrangement of marks forming any image, real OR abstract, using pen, pencil, brush, or any number of instruments or mediums.

Take Jane Davies' "100 Drawings" workshop for instance (and I'm doing just that).  I have gone from this, in Lesson 1...

 


via this, in Lesson 2...



..to this, in Lesson 3.....



We have used line and shape, black & white and colour, so far.... AND all sorts of mediums including print and collage.  Where will we go from here?  There are seven lessons left, and I suspect that Lesson 10 will seem more like painting to most people.

It is a question that interests anyone entering a drawing prize.  Perhaps the boundaries between drawing and painting have been irrevocably blurred.....and it doesn't matter....or does it?

12 comments:

  1. Wow. How cool is this? I love how you show three different looks. And Jane Davies? She's an art goddess! So inspirational. Your painting (or is it a drawing?) is bold and strong. I'm fond of the blue/brown combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A drawing is a drawing is a drawing and I like all three, but #1 is my fave. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are utterly fantastic Jo! All three have such a nice flow and take you all around the piece. Can't wait to see what else you do in this class- I love Jane's work too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let drawing and painting cross over. It obviously works for you, Jo. Have fun with this workshop. Jane Davies is an awesome and generous teacher. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so drawn in to the second one. I think that the idea of abstract drawing is unusual.And does tend to blur into painiting, which usually has an underlying drawing. I've been drawing a lot this month and finding that I prefer things that are more illustrative and less realistic.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great food for thought and a feast for the eyes Jo!
    I like the idea of mixed media.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well..... I would still consider these all fine art paintings, I tend to think of drawing without the use of paint. For me, line and mark making can be drawing but if paint is used probably not...
    your work is fabulous and I adore the first one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow i love it all you must be having so much fun exploring these different techniques

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post has got me thinking Jo. But mostly this post has me loving what you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with cat that these are all paintings, but to me, there's no clear line between them, no pun intended.... These are all great pieces of art, is my point....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, this is my first visit with you. I've seen you in the comments of many blogs I follow and finally popped over dora visit. I find your work in this post and earlier to be fascinating! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these drawings and shall be following your progress with interest!

    ReplyDelete