Friday, December 2, 2011

An Award From A Fellow Blogger!

It is always great to find other bloggers enjoy your posts, but to be chosen as a favourite from so many of the bloggers out there is encouraging indeed.  Holly Dean of Often Medieval In Mood  has chosen me for the ....
AWARD
Thank you Holly, for this accolade.  I am honoured to accept it in the spirit in which it was given.

Who knows where The Liebster Blog Award originated? It is meant to showcase those who have fewer than 200 followers. (Liebster means "favourite" or "dearest" in German.) This is done in the spirit of pay-it-forward. In accepting this award, the recipient agrees to:

• Thank the person that gave them the award and link back to their blog
• Copy and paste the award to their blog
• Reveal the 5 blogs they have chosen to award and let them know by commenting on their blog


For those I am about to award, I should also point out there is no obligation to continue this award. If this is not your cup of tea, don’t worry.

The value behind this award is for us to get to know other bloggers who might not be well known, yet have a lot to share. Each of us has our own following, for various different reasons.  Those who read our blogs might benefit from being introduced to other sorts of art practice.  It is all part of the blogging concept of sharing knowledge.

I have chosen to pass on the award to five of my faves, all accomplished in different mediums. I have eclectic tastes in creativity, and my awards go to people who are passionate about their art,  work regularly, and share images and information generously.

1.  RUST'N'STUFF  blogger Barry Smith is a sculptor, using recycled metals, wood, glass, and crystal. The titles of his work are often plays on words, and that amuses me on another level.

Moon Gate - Barry Smith
2.  KIM SCHOENBERGER is multi-talented.   Her early works included beaded earrings, and thrown pottery.  She has now graduated to metal sculptures, and has a huge stash of rusty old metal. Meanwhile she continues to create exquisitely fine porcelain pieces embedded with tiny rusted cogs, or even bling.  Like my previous friend, Barry, she is creative with her titles

Flourish - Porcelain inlaid with rusty cogs - Kim Schoenberger

The Squeeze - Kim Schoenberger
3.  PAPER PONDERINGS  blogger Fiona Dempster is a calligrapher, and bookmaker, whose work is precise, well considered, reflective, and very beautiful. She weaves her pieces around concepts such as journeys, feelings, and the depth of meaning in words.

Handmade book - Fiona Dempster
4. WABISABIART friend Noela Mills runs the best mixed media workshops I've ever been to.  She is accomplished in many forms of art, and makes the most interesting jewellery.

Weathered - Noela Mills
Earrings - Noela Mills
4.  SOEWN EARTH is the blog of Trace Willans who uses completely natural earth and vegetable dyes, and wax, to transform paper and cloth into beautifully subtle and tactile works of art.


Mixed media on handmade paper - Trace Willans



Fabric wrap journal - Trace Willans

5. MALENY ART belongs to Ken Munsie another sculptor  who uses recycled stuff, ceramics,  and handmade paperto make his very evocative and substantial pieces. I have to add him to this list not only because of his beautiful pieces, but because he is a constant, and tireless, supporter and organiser for local art... particularly a group I belong to the Collaboration Of Maleny Artsts (COMA). 


Refused - Ken Munsie


It is no coincidence that most of the above are members of COMA, and that all are Australian, or that their common ground is recycling. I am immensely proud of the artistic community in Australia, and the enormous number of 'recyclers' here. I have intended my awards list to showcase Australian Art to my O/S followers.

It seems that, despite my claims to have eclectic tastes, I lean towards tactile pieces. The palettes are also so different to my own. Perhaps that is why I am drawn to them.

I hope you enjoy visiting these wonderful blogs, and perhaps find inspiration there.






4 comments:

  1. Congratulation on your award.

    Thank you for introducing us to more amazing artists.

    Kim is already one of my favorite artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and thank you for showing such stunning craftmanship. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo - thanks so much for sharing these favorites of yours. Each so different from your style and from each other, but clearly showing a passion for their work. I can't wait to browse through their sites at length....

    ReplyDelete
  4. JM- congrats on being recognised by peers. Thanks for valuing my art and promoting it. B.

    ReplyDelete